With the invention of the Sims Pump Valve for use in reciprocating pumps, Sims was launched in the Red Hook section of Brooklyn in 1919 by Admiral Sims and his brother. Growth necessitated first a move to downtown New York and later to the company’s present address in Hoboken, N.J.
In the first four decades, Sims was steadily at the helm providing maritime and other industries with valves of bronze, stainless steel and monel. The inherent clattering of the reciprocating pump valve caused by the pump rotator pounding against the disk lead to the invention of one of the first composites on the market in 1945, the Simsite® disk.
Recognizing that conventional metal impellers were subject to electrolysis, corrosion, erosion, and unbalance problems when used in services such as salt or brackish water, Sims introduced in 1955 the first Simsite® Casing Rings and Impellers. The highly innovative use of this structural composite material, patented and invented by Sims, was a great success. It outlasted the life expectancy of bronze and stainless steel impellers and rings by years and extended the entire pump life.
The Simsite® structural composite technology continued to improve through the years, making the composite stronger, more resistant to chemicals and abrasion and capable of withstanding higher speeds and higher temperatures (400 F).
In 2004, Sims designed a Complete Line of SIMSITE® structural composite pumps for the U.S. Navy. In 2005, Sims designed and shock qualified a SIMSITE® Structural Composite In-Line Ball Valve for the U.S. Navy. In 2007, Sims engineered a new type of SIMSITE® Structural Composite Replacement Bowls for vertical turbine multi-stage pumps. These stages are suitable for a wide range vertical pumps from 4-inch bowls up to 20-inch bowls. The maximum operating pressure of these pumps is 600 psi.
In 2010, Sims designed and engineered the first structural composite anti-heeling pump manufactured completely from SIMSITE® Structural Composite, for NCL Cruise lines.