In 1848, in Seneca Falls, N.Y., Seabury S. Gould purchased the interests of Edward Mynderse and H.C. Silsby in Downs, Mynderse & Co., forming Downs & Company. In 1849, Gould casted and assembled the world's first all-metal pump. In 1869, the company name was changed to Goulds Manufacturing Company. In the 1960s, new lines of industrial pumps were developed by Goulds Pumps, including large double-suction pumps, higher pressure pumps and non-metallic pumps. In 1997, ITT Industries acquired Goulds Pumps, making ITT the world's largest pump company.