The Hydraulic Institute (HI) is pleased to offer a certification program for Pump Systems Assessment Professionals (PSAP). This program sets the standard for the discipline of pump systems assessment and the use of pump system optimization techniques. Certification will provide a high level of confidence to end-users and other stakeholders that pump system assessors have the experience and expertise to perform high quality assessments which will lead to more energy efficient and reliable pumping systems.
About the Exam
The PSAP certification exam consist of 100 multiple-choice questions and is administered by a proctor in a paper/pencil format. Each question has four possible options with only one correct answer. The maximum allotted time to complete the examination is 3.5 hours.
Candidates preparing for the certification exam should review the PSAP Practice Analysis and Test Specifications. This document represents a delineation of common or typical tasks performed and knowledge applied by Pump Systems Assessment Professionals. The PSAP exam covers three (3) major content domain areas found in the PSAP Practice Analysis and Test Specifications. The percentage listed to the left of each domain area represents the percentage of the exam that covers topics from that domain area.
Sample questions in a quiz format is available to candidates for demonstrative purposes.
The Hydraulic Institute recommends the following textbooks for preparation for the PSAP examination:
- PSAP Study Guide - Hydraulic Institute, 2018
- Pump Systems Assessment: Body of Knowledge - Hydraulic Institute, 2017 [use this PS/HI url:
- Life Cycle Costs - A Guide to LLC Analysis for Pumping Systems - Hydraulic Institute, 2001
- Optimizing Pumping Systems, A Guide to Improved Energy Efficiency, Reliability and Profitability, First Edition - Hydraulic Institute, 2008
- Application Guideline for Variable Speed Pumping - Hydraulic Institute, First Edition, 2017
- Reliability of Pump Equipment: Guidelines for Maximizing Uptime, Availability, and Reliability - Hydraulic Institute, First Edition, 2015
- Best Practices in Energy Efficient Industrial Technologies: Motor Systems - Institute for Industrial Productivity, 2012
- ISO/ASME 14414:2015, Pump System Energy Assessment
- Guiding Principles for Successfully Implementing Industrial Energy Assessment Recommendations - US Department of Energy, 2011
- Improving Pumping System Performance - A Sourcebook for Industry, Second Edition - US Department of Energy, 2006
The Hydraulic Institute (HI) recognizes Pump Systems Matter (PSM), a 501(c)3 subsidiary of HI, as a provider of quality education products for professionals in the pump industry. PSM offers online certificate programs and intensive on-site courses. Although PSM coursework is not required to achieve certification, it is an opportunity review and/or reinforce a candidates' understanding of the PSAP Practice Analysis and Test Specifications.
*DISCLAIMER: HI provides information on organizations that offer education relating to pump system assessments, but provides this information only as a resource. The information is not intended as a specific endorsement of any particular educational product or provider. Pump Systems Matter and their associated staffs are not involved in the development of test questions for the PSAP certification examination, nor is the Hydraulic Institute or its staff involved in the development of Pump Systems Matter preparatory courses or products of PSM or any other educational provider. HI and its staff is solely responsible for the administration of and policies relating to the PSAP certification programs. Applicants and candidates pursuing PSAP certification should perform his/her own research and should exercise discretion when selecting education. Ensure that when selecting coursework/education that the course addresses a specific personal professional development need and is aligned with the current PSAP Practice Analysis and Test Specifications.
Contact EDGAR SUAREZ at email@example.com for more information or to sign up for the exam.