The Direct Sales Manager will be responsible for sales of products and services to municipal end-users and contractors for the Water Utility segment within the region(s) identified. Focus applications include wastewater transport (lift stations and transfer pumps at treatment plants), Storm water and drinking water intake, treatment, and distribution. Focus products are pumps, related services and accessories such as drives and controls.
The primary objective is to achieve sales targets as defined in annual territory and account plans, and thereby achieve consistent sales growth in the assigned territory. Business will be conducted in accordance with Grundfos Values and work will be structured as laid out in the Grundfos Sales Excellence program. To maximize sales success the sales manager is expected to coordinate and collaborate effectively with all members of the Grundfos Sales Team across market segments.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Achieve sales targets (monthly, quarterly and annually) by implementing tactics agreed in territory/account plans. This will be achieved by conducting sales presentations, personal sales visits, regular mailing and tele-sales activities focused on municipal customers and the contractors and consulting engineers that they work with.
- Maintain and develop a strong rapport with current customers through personal visits, telephone calls and correspondence in order to address any customer dissatisfaction issues and identify any additional revenue potential. Work very closely with their management or key decision makers to be able to source new projects or business.
- Establish a visible presence by representing the company in local shows and conferences and by participating in local professional forums to get maximum exposure with consultants, contractors, Waste Water plant/network operators, and other potential customers who are engaged in the municipal water market.
- Maintain a solid territory and account plans detailing the tactical steps that will be taken to grow sales in the assigned sales territory and with individual accounts.
- Reports on sales activities and market dynamics i.e. competitor activity, feedback from customers, market trends, business threats etc.). Maintain a detailed overview of project activity, new opportunities, and warranty issues within the assigned territory. Maintain accurate sales forecasts on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Duties and responsibilities may be adjusted over time.
- CRM Notes of Activity: Responsible for entering accurate information into SAP-CRM about all sales, service and training activities, as well as all opportunity information from identification to order fulfillment.
- Expense Reporting: Responsible for managing own expense budget in accordance with specific Grundfos policies and procedures.
- Results Reporting: Prepare a monthly report in accordance with specific direction from the manager. Regardless of circumstances, this report is always due on the first of the month.
- Time Management: Effectively utilize the CRM and Outlook calendars to account for no less than 70% of available time.
- Other: Additional reports may be required from time to time.
Education and Experience
Education and Experience: A Bachelors of Science Degree in Engineering or equivalent is preferred. A minimum of (3) years of experience in outside sales serving the municipal market within the identified region is necessary. Knowledge of pumps and pumping systems within municipal water treatment and distribution, and waste water collection and treatment operations are a definite plus. The abilities to multi-task in a fast paced environment, and effectively manage stressful situations are also required.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written formats and to various levels of customer, engineering and management audiences.
- Professional sales and negotiation skills will be required.
- Ability to instruct and train on technical subjects.
- Excellent PC skills with above average knowledge and use of Microsoft Office application programs (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) as well as strong aptitude for learning and applying new systems and programs.
- Be open to and manage change.
- Ability to travel 50%-70% locally, with occasional overnight and weekend travel.
Must possess a valid driver’s license and maintain a good driving record. Must retain a valid U.S. Passport.
It is the defined responsibility of this role to work with all Water Utility Team Members to foster open dialogue, develop a team environment and culture, and create a strong morale and spirit within the team; promoting the sharing of wins, successes and challenges.
Support the Grundfos objective of being a socially responsible company by participating in company sponsored events and activities that support this cause. In addition, the Direct Sales Manager is encouraged to identify and support/participate in similar socially responsible programs, events and activities, with guidance and approval from their Manager.
It is the responsibility of the Direct Sales Manager to always present themselves in their role and in society in a manner consistent with the Grundfos Brand, including; maintaining personal appearance, vehicle cleanliness and condition, Grundfos office cleanliness, and follow customer entertainment guidelines.
Using the Employee Development Dialogue (EDD) process, the DSM will identify and document their personal development short term and long term growth objectives and in conjunction with their manager, measure their progress to achieving these objectives on an annual basis.
Grundfos Pumps does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability or veteran status in provision of our employment opportunities and benefits.